DAAD/PLAAS/NELGA Scholarships:DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) in collaboration with PLAAS (Institute for Poverty, Land & Agrarian Studies) and Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA), is offering in-country/in-region scholarships, as part of the Strengthening Capacities for Land Governance in Africa programme.
- The PLAAS application deadline is 7th August 2020
- The DAAD application deadline is 11th September 2020.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa
About the Award: The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in collaboration with the Institute for Poverty, Land & Agrarian Studies (PLAAS), University of the Western Cape (UWC), is offering in-country/in-region scholarships, within the Network of Excellence for Land Governance in Africa (NELGA). This forms part of the Strengthening Advisory Capacities for Land Governance in Africa (SLGA) programme funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (MBZ).
Field of Study: The programme supports those in subject areas with strong relevance to land governance/land management. We propose the following topic areas for scholarships:
- Land tenure, including customary tenure, titling and land markets
- Water, forestry, fisheries and ecosystems management
- Farming systems, agricultural development and the rural non-farm economy
- Agricultural investment and inclusive business models
- Governance, policy frameworks and investment standards
- Population, migration and urbanisation
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Agro-food systems, food prices and food security
- Regional cooperation and integration and the agro-food system
Eligibility of the DAAD/PLAAS/NELGA Scholarships: These scholarships are aimed at young candidates, mid-career professionals, researchers and university staff. Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Selection Criteria: For admission to the MPhil Research in Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies, applicants must have obtained an Honours degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. sociology, history, economics, political science, agriculture, public administration, development studies, geographical and environmental studies). Students must demonstrate a good understanding of their chosen research topic and have research experience in one or more of the following themes – poverty, land and agrarian reform, rural development, and natural resources.
Number of Awards: DAAD offers up to 3 scholarships for Master studies and 3 scholarships for PhD studies at PLAAS for the intake 2021.
Value of Award:
Study and research allowance
Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
Travel allowance (In-Region only)
Duration of Programme:The duration of the Master programme is two years, the duration of the PhD programme is three years, generally starting in May 2021.
How to Apply for the DAAD/PLAAS/NELGA Scholarships:
- The application process contains two steps. Your attention is drawn towards the two application deadlines.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.