The Field Museum invites applications for its fully funded Bass Senior Visiting Fellowship. Successful applicants receive support for long-term visits, usually between three and six months, to work at the Field Museum to collaborate with Museum faculty on specific research projects.
We encourage projects that focus on one or more areas of research in Life Sciences, Social Sciences, and Earth and Planetary Sciences; foster collaboration among individual research programs; and have an interdisciplinary component. Every project must lead or contribute to peer-reviewed, scientific publications. We will also prioritize candidates that complement existing expertise at the Field Museum. The Science and Scholarship Funding Committee will review applications scientific merit, interdisciplinary and collaborative aspects, and congruence with the research and collections strengths of the Museum.
Eligibility for the Bass Visiting Fellowship
Applicants should have at least five years of experience in the relevant field of research after their PhD, as well as a strong record of peer-reviewed publications. A Field Museum sponsor must endorse each application. Likewise, individual scientists and their research programs can be found on the staff lists for the Integrative Research Center, Collections Center, and Science Action Center. Please contact your potential sponsors to develop your application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that endorsement letters are submitted by the application deadline—otherwise, the application is incomplete.
How to apply for the Fully Funded Bass Fellowship?
In order to apply for the Fully Funded Bass Senior Visiting Fellowship, the candidates must submit the following documents:
- Scientific proposal featuring an executive summary (250 words max) and project description detailing its objectives, scientific merit. Moreover, the candidate should emphasize on the motivation in a broad context, interdisciplinary aspects, feasibility, work plan, and references. The proposal must be no longer than two pages in 12-point font with one-inch margins, including figures and tables.
- Full budget between $8,000 and $12,500 with justification (one page). Moreover, Budgets can include living expenses, travel, research costs, and salary subvention if adequately justified. The support can serve as a stipend for living expenses in the Chicago area while still receiving a salary from the home institution.
- A CV with publications list
- PDF copies of three selected publications
- Names as well as contact information including e-mail addresses of three referees
The Field Museum accepts the application for the Fully Funded Bass Visiting Fellowship until 15 November 2019. Applications arriving after the deadline are not eligible for the fellowship.