Global Africa Translation Fellowship 2022 ($1,000 to $5,000 funding)
The Africa Institute announces the Global Arica Translation Fellowship program as a part of its African Languages and Translation Program. It welcomes applications from across the Global South for a grant of up to $5,000 to complete translations of works from the African continent and its diaspora, into English or Arabic. This is a non-residential fellowship that allows the recipient scholar to complete the work outside of The Africa Institute (Sharjah, UAE). The aim of the fellowship is to make important texts in African and African Diaspora studies accessible to a wider readership across the world.
Funding and Benefits
- The fellowship provides funding in the range of $1,000 to $5,000, depending on the quality and breadth of the project.
- Africa Institute Global Africa Translation Fellowship is open to from across the Global South.
- Selected projects may be retranslations of old, classic texts, or previously untranslated works, collections of poetry, prose, or critical theory.
- The project may be a work-in-progress, or a new project feasible for completion within the timeframe of the grant.
Applications for Global Africa Translation Fellowship must include:
- A two-page CV/résumé including institutional affiliation, educational qualifications, including highest degree received, and key publications/works produced.
- A two-page narrative explaining the translation to be undertaken during the fellowship period; an explanation of the importance of the work; a justification for a re-translation, if applicable; and proposed dates of completion. The project may be a work-in-progress or a new project that fits within the timeframe of the grant.
- A 4-5 five pages (double-spaced) sample of the original text(s) and translation.
- An explanation of the work’s copyright status: If the work is not in the public domain, please include a copy of the copyright notice from the original text, and a letter from the copyright holder stating that English language rights to the work are available.
|Type of Opportunity||Scholarships and Fellowships|
|Deadline||15 October, 2021|
|Organizer||The Africa Institute|