Jamlab Accelerator Programme sub-Saharan Africa 2021 for Journalism & Media Innovators
Jamlab Accelerator Programme sub-Saharan Africa 2021: We are looking for applications from startups passionate about fixing what isn’t working in sub-Saharan African media
Application Deadline: 13th August, 2021.
About the Award: Are you working on something that you think could reshape media or journalism in sub-Saharan? Do you have skills you could apply to creating great new media? Do you have the energy and commitment to create something great?
We are looking for committed and creative journalists and media makers who are passionate about fixing what isn’t working in sub-Saharan African media, who want to create innovative products or services to serve new audiences, or bring new conversations or ideas to the public.
The Jamlab Accelerator Programme is our six-month hothouse for journalism and media innovators. The programme offers a unique opportunity to fast-track your initiative. It will provide you with the tools, facilities, contacts, and support necessary to convert your ideas and ambitions into a commercially viable venture or product.
We welcome applications from ALL countries across sub-Saharan Africa, particularly those in Benin; Burkina Faso; Cote de Ivoire; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Mozambique; Niger; Nigeria; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Togo and Zambia.
Eligible Countries: We welcome applications from ALL countries across sub-Saharan Africa, particularly those in Benin; Burkina Faso; Cote de Ivoire; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Mozambique; Niger; Nigeria; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Togo and Zambia.
Number of Awards: 24 teams
Value of Award: This sub-Saharan Africa programme we are running will largely take place virtually due to the Covid-19 travel restrictions imposed by numerous countries in Africa and globally. The programme will run from September 2021 to February 2022.
The six teams selected from sub-Saharan Africa will receive the following:
- Virtual mentorship and coaching from experienced media, start-up and tech experts and entrepreneurs.
- Free places on a three-month Media Entrepreneurship course offered by Wits Journalism
- Access to a technical support development team.
- Opportunities to pitch to potential investors, funders and various stakeholders with a MVP (minimum viable product).
- Access to network which includes but not limited to Programme Alumni.
Twenty-four (24) teams have taken part in four iterations of the Jamlab Accelerator Programme, with six of them succeeding in securing additional investment immediately after the programme.
How to Apply:
- Do a thorough reading of all the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Take a look previous startups on the accelerator programme.
- Have a look at what our alumni say about the programme.
- Complete this short application form to capture your details and confirm your eligibility and ability to participate.
You will be asked to write a short pitch setting out your idea for a new journalism start-up or describing your existing venture and your ideas for growing and developing it further. Include in this pitch why and how your venture is innovating in the space.
You will also be asked to provide short resumes of your key team, including a line on each one’s role in the venture.
Successful teams will need a steady internet and have a good command of speaking and writing in English.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.