The Social Science Research Council calls application for the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship. The SSRC/JSPS Fellowship Program for ABDs and Recent PhDs provides promising and highly qualified researchers with opportunities to conduct research at leading universities and other research institutions in Japan for 1-12 months or 12-24 month terms. Projects need not be explicitly related to the study of Japan but must propose work with colleagues and resources in Japan. The program especially encourages proposals for cooperative research with colleagues in Japan under the guidance of a senior host researcher. The Social Science Research Council serves as the nominating authority for US-based applicants in the social sciences and humanities only. Researchers in the field of medicine or natural sciences should contact the Fogarty International Center at the National Institutes of Health.
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship currently provides:
- Round-trip international airfare for fellows originating in the U.S.
- Insurance coverage for accidents and illness.
- A monthly stipend of ¥362,000 for fellows with a Ph.D. at the start of their tenure and ¥200,000 for fellows without it.
- A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000 for fellowships over three months in duration.
- Additional research expenses may be made available for long-term fellows only. Applications for these grants are made by the researcher through their host institution.
Applications are welcome from all social science and humanities disciplines; need not be explicitly related to the study of Japan. Projects must include work with colleagues and resources in Japan and propose a single, continuous stay in Japan from 1 to 12 months (short-term) or 12 to 24 months (long-term).
- Scholars who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Foreign Researchers are not eligible. However, previous short-term fellowship recipients may apply for the long-term fellowship.
- JSPS does not extend fellowships to scholars employed in institutions under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Japanese nationals are not eligible.
- Japanese permanent residents are not eligible.
- Those who have resident cards with mailing addresses in Japan at the application deadline are not eligible for the short-term fellowship.
|Type of Opportunity||Scholarships and Fellowships|
|Organizer||The Social Science Research Council|