The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is inviting applications for its scholarship Programme for outstanding international African students in South Africa for the 2021/2022 academic session.
The central purpose of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa. The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is a combination of financial support for postgraduate studies and a high-quality Leadership Development Programme.
The central purpose of The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa (whilst also seeking to foster better reconciliation and entrepreneurship) through its various programmes and, to this end, aims to be the leading protagonist in Africa for such endeavours.
Worth of Award
- The Scholarship covers Full funding for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded).
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and end of their degree
- Personal allowance
The following criteria apply in the selection of Mandela Rhodes Scholars:
- The Scholarship is open to citizens of all African countries and is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions.
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply.
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2022.
- Applicants should have a history of well above average academic results and reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership, and Entrepreneurship.
- Applicants must be able to attend all compulsory elements of our leadership development programme. These activities can occur during the week or on weekends.
How to Apply
- The application form will be live on their website,
- Only online applications will be accepted.
- Please be advised that as part of your application, three letters of recommendation are required;
- Your application will be considered incomplete without them.
- Start your application as soon as possible to give your Recommenders time to submit.
Deadline: Application closes on April 16, 2021.