Apply for Solutions Journalism Africa Fellowship 2021. The Solutions Journalism Network’s Africa Initiative is seeking applications from individuals who want to start (or upgrade) solutions journalism-focused project or art project that is based in or focused on, Kenya and Nigeria.
As a pioneer Solutions Journalism Africa Fellow, you’ll receive $2,000 in funding to launch or expand your platform — provided it initiates or supports solutions journalism at the newsroom and community levels. Whether you are a photographer, freelance reporter, lecturer, tech or data enthusiast, feel free to send your pitches by July 3, 2021.
Solutions Journalism Africa Fellowship has the following benefits
- All fellows will receive $2,000 in unrestricted funding to support their projects. It encourages you to show how the funding will be used for your reporting or platform.
- Each fellow receives half the stipend at the start of the fellowship, in August 2021. Fellows whose projects are on track toward fulfilling their goals will receive the remainder of their stipends in November 2021, after submitting a summarized project report.
Basically, you’ll be part of a cohort of 10 fellows (five from Kenya and five from Nigeria) who will
- Pioneer a community of media innovators, journalists, photographers and artists who create new ideas, coverage or platforms that enhance solutions journalism for Africa, by Africans.
- Receive training in skills relevant to your project proposal — audience/community engagement, impact reporting, revenue generation and sustainability within Africa’s context.
- Gain access to and collaborate with the Africa Initiative cohort of 20 newsrooms and two implementing partners spread across four countries. Outside the continent, you are guaranteed access to SJN staff members and our network of more than 5,000 journalists worldwide.
- Receive a modest honorarium of $2,000.
- The fellowship duration is from August to November 2021.
- Actively working in journalism as (1) a journalist, either employed by a news organization or freelance; (2) an educator teaching journalism; or (3) another type of journalism creative or product innovator.
- Should be registered on SJN’s website.
- Trained in solutions journalism, or committed to taking a training session before the start of the Solutions Journalism Africa Fellowship. (Fill out and submit your application form, but do register for a dedicated Solutions Journalism 101 webinar here on Thursday, June 24, 2021 at 1 p.m. West Africa Time and 3 p.m. East Africa Time.
- In addition, you have the option of taking our self-guided “Basic Toolkit” training through our Learning Lab.)
- Applying as an individual — not a team or an organization. If teams from a platform are applying, one person must serve as the contact/lead person for the fellowship duration.
|Type of Opportunity||Scholarships and Fellowships|
|Deadline||03 July, 2021|
|Organizer||The Whole Story|